Saturday, March 20, 2010

Getting back to the keyboard

Call it Adult Onset ADD or just a lazy excuse, but whatever it is, I have a genuine problem with sticktoitiveness. (Yea, I made that word up). But as part of that overall problem, I find myself unable to complete some pretty basic tasks such as remembering to give my son his antibiotics after day 6, putting away the folded laundry, or writing blog entries after a week of a pretty good effort. That said, I'm back at it! Since this entry is really more about the process and less about the content, I should warn you - all of you 3 million readers of this blog who have been sorely disappointed by my cyber-absence of late - that I can't promise much of an interesting read beyond now...
Lately I've been trying to get to the root of the problem. Is it that I'm afraid of the success I'll enjoy if I actually finish something I start? Maybe - that's pretty deep for my superficial self, but it could be. Fear that I'll have nothing left once the task is complete? Again, awfully psychoanalytical, but perhaps. Or maybe it's just that I am easily distracted, get bored, and quickly latch on to the new, more colorful distraction that pops up in front of my face. This seems the most likely.
I have long called myself "immediate gratification girl," and I have trouble recognizing the benefit of sustained efforts toward some amorphous long-term goal. I guess that's something that attracted me to litigation - you get a case, you jump through all the hoops of the pretrial process, and in the unusual event that you can't reach a conclusion beforehand, you have one last big push for trial and then it's over...on to a new task. (I know - there are cases that drag on forever, but not in the silly world of petty crime and rear-end car accidents that I lived in.)
But, I'm giving myself 2 months to see how I feel when I do a few things every day. Here they are:
1) Write on this blog for a minimum of 10 minutes.
2) Walk Roxy for a minimum of 20 minutes.
3) Do one complete load of laundry (wash, dry, fold, put away).
4) Extend one random act of kindness. (This has a very broad interpretation - it might be opening the door for a stranger, picking up a piece of trash on the ground, whatever, but it must be a conscious choice.
I figure reporting the random act of kindness could give me at least 30 seconds of material for my blog, so it's kind of a symbiotic relationship there.
Anyway, I've well exceeded my 10 minutes today...the ball is rolling! Now I just need to go find something nice to do...that might be hard for me. We'll just have to see!

1 comment:

  1. i like it. i look forward to hearing about your random acts.

    ReplyDelete

 
Real Time Web Analytics