Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - I think I'm allergic to Chowder!


Mama's Losin' It

This entry is inspired by Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt:  1.) Describe a popular kids toy or show that you just don’t understand.  I have chosen Cartoon Network's Chowder...I don't get it!


For all you moms who have graduated from the Disney Channel and moved on to Cartoon Network, I think you know what I'm talking about.  CHOWDER MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!


Aaarrrggghhhhh! Turn that s*** off!!!

 This is quite simply the most irritating show ever to grace the airways.  In case you haven't seen it, the show stars "Chowder," a cat/bear/rabbit hybrid that goes around making annoying noises and repeating the same things over and over and over again...It's horrible!

I'll start by saying this is a French-Canadian show created by C.H. Greenblatt, one of  the storyboard artists from Sponge Bob Square Pants.  Really that ought to be enough said, but I'll go on.  The characters live in Marzipan City and they all have ethnic-food-inspired names like Gazpacho, Mung Daal, Schnitzel, and Panini. Theoretically it sounds kind of cute, doesn't it?  I mean, maybe it will inspire your kids to actually try Gorganzola on a cheese plate since there's a character named that on Chowder, right?  WRONG!  Instead they'll look at it, plug their noses and run around the kitchen table screaming "stinky cheese" in a Chowder-inspired screech.   Charming, really!

Schnitzel, Mung Daal, Chowder, Truffles

And then, you can't help but gawk at the TV trying to figure out what the hell these characters are supposed to be.  You'll find yourself wondering which psychotropic drugs were used to inspire the mushroom-headed Truffles and the "rock monster" Schnitzel.  And then you'll think -- it it appropriate to have your school-aged children watching this at all?  All the while, you've wasted an hour and given yourself a 3-Aleve headache to boot.

But don't think the worst has past...Flapjack will be up next, and I'm afraid that might even be worse!  Cartoon Network, I don't get you!

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like it might be even worse than Yo Gabba Gabba! And just from looking at the picture, do you think some of the characters are a little phallic? (Sorry, it's the English major in me. We were trained to search out phalluses everywhere. You can make practically anything symbolize a phallus.)

    I never thought I'd say this, but I really miss Curious George and Clifford. We've moved on from PBS to Nick Jr, and I've wondered just like you have, exactly what the creators of some of these shows are on.

    Thanks to this, I think we'll be steering clear of the Cartoon Network. I thought Max & Ruby was bad, but it's sounding better than Chowder!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I've seen, the Cartoon Network is a wasteland of incomprehensible, loud, obnoxious shows ... but I suspect we are not the intended demographic. I sense a blocked channel in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad my kids are past this age. I don't know if I culd deal with this.

    Over from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds awful! kids. they make tv watching no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My older kids love Chowder. I, on the otherhand, don't. It's annoying and everything you said it is. The one thing the show does have going for it is it's innovative use of color, texture and patterns. That's about it. lol
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Yo Gabba Gabba Writer's Workshop post. Have a great day.

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another reason to be glad we don't have cable!

    Stopping by from MamaKats

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol no wonder parents stop letting their children watch tv! This is bananas!


    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are there any normal-ish kids cartoons anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, I really like Chowder its pretty funny. I could see how it gets annoying I mean definitely don't watch it everyday but...I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw don't bash Chowder. It just another crazy cartoon after all. I find it pretty entertaining at times. It's not like your children are going to become stupid from watching it. And Flapjack! Flapjack is a very good cartoon. Many of these animations are a form of storytelling for the creator :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Real Time Web Analytics